Just like they do on the TV weather segments, start with an overview of the whole country and surrounding seas. You can get this from assessing surface weather charts, satellite pictures and radar images. These will give you the overall situation.
Then you need to start asking some questions in relation to your particular route or area of operation:
- Do the maps and images agree with each other? If not why not?
- Is there a frontal situation overhead or expected? When will it arrive?
- What general wind direction and strength is expected?
- What effect will terrain have on the wind?
- What cloud would you expect to see?
- What is the visibility likely to be?
- What changes would you expect to see?
- Does the information suggest any hazardous conditions?